Formation and pruning of mountain pine
The genus of pine surprises with species diversity. In addition to the widespread pines (ordinary and cedar), there are also little-known representatives. These include mountain pine. This is a dwarf form with a spectacular cushion or creeping crown.
Features of pruning mountain pines
Mountain representative of pine trees can become a real decoration of any garden, if it has a properly formed, well-groomed crown. To obtain the desired result, it is necessary to carry out timely and technically correct pruning.
A number of rules should be followed to preserve the health and appearance of the tree:
- You can start work on the formation of the crown with the advent of young growths (candles), in which there are future needles. Need to cut the shoot at the peak of growth, but before the needles.
- Use the most ordinary garden shears in work. A prerequisite is the sharpness and cleanliness of garden tools, because a sloppy cut can cause the disease.
- Processing begins with the top of the pine. Shoots, the location of which is the upper part of the crown, usually grow more actively and more.
- The place of pruning is treated with copper sulfate. If it was not possible to avoid more serious injuries, cover the wound with garden var.
- In one approach, you can remove no more than a third of the green cap, otherwise the plant will be irreparably damaged.
Reasons to Prune Pine Trees
Periodic shearing is necessary for mountain pine no less than watering and top dressing. A correctly carried out procedure has a beneficial effect on the external attractiveness of a tree, increases vitality and endurance, helps to strengthen the roots, and also participates in creating a landscape composition. The garden will have a neglected rather than attractive appearance if you do not pay enough attention to pruning.
Important! It is categorically impossible to prune after the appearance of full needles on pine branches!
Formation is the shaping of a plant. Gardeners continue to artificially form pine for many years, achieving the desired result.
- like a ball;
- in the shape of a pyramid;
- in several tiers;
- an element forming a hedge;
- a tree using the bonsai technique.
Trimming can be not only decorative, but also medicinal in nature. A healthy tree is the regular removal of broken, dried and damaged branches. Branches that are too close should also be deleted. If they rub against each other actively, this can cause injury, and therefore a possible infection of the tree.
To rejuvenate, stimulate growth and more active appearance of young shoots, it is necessary to trim an adult plant, in which dried or bare branches are already present in large numbers in the crown. A beautiful form is able to rejuvenate the tree externally and give it vitality.
Did you know? The owner of the longest needles of all conifers (up to 45 cm) is recognized as swamp pine.
For the right size
If the area of the plot is not too large, you should trim the pine in order to restrain growth and obtain a crown of suitable girth. An overly spreading crown makes it difficult to cut, and also creates an excessive shadow that is not always favorable for neighboring plants. On a vast territory, you can leave full growth.
Best time for a haircut
Based on the purpose of the haircut, choose the most suitable time period. Sanitary pruning, for example, from broken branches that interfere with the growth of others or can harm neighboring plants, is carried out regardless of the season.
In the spring, the following goals are pursued:
- stimulation of growth of candles;
- crown formation;
- giving a certain appearance.
Video: pruning mountain pine
In summer, it makes sense to remove old branches that unnecessarily thicken the crown, negatively affect the growth and development of the plant, reducing the intensity of the solar stream.Pruning in the fall is primarily aimed at rejuvenating the pine. It is necessary to trim the bare ends of old branches on which candles will no longer appear. This will contribute to the awakening of new kidneys.
Important! The branch, which was partially cut, should retain at least a small amount of needles, otherwise it will completely dry out.
How to crop
The main task during the work is not to harm the plant's health. It is important to consider for what purpose the tree was planted in this area, what shape the crown was originally. This will make the pine neat, give it an unusual shape. This procedure is quite time-consuming and requires certain knowledge and skills. The first haircut can be done already a year after planting, if the plant has taken root and feels good in the garden.
There are several types of cropping:
- Thinning branches allows you to get rid of dry or damaged branches, those that are "incorrectly" located. It is necessary to make the shortest possible cut. The branch should be deleted completely.
- Pinching (shortening) - a method of forming a spreading crown. In this case, the entire young shoot or only the apex is cut off with a secateurs.
- Pruning - removal of the upper part of the barrel in order to control the height.
At the preparatory stage it is necessary:
- check and disinfect the tool;
- prepare a var in case of damage;
- outline in advance the branches that need to be removed;
- determine the shape and size to trim.
Care after trimming
Mountain pine is not too demanding in daily care. However, keep in mind that pruning is a stressful situation for the plant. It is important to maintain a sense of proportion. At this time, the tree should be fed with mineral or phosphorus fertilizers.
Too frequent cutting of branches weakens the pine, which can adversely affect the appearance or even provoke any disease. We must not forget about watering, but we should not and waterlogged soil (usually enough twice a month). They also use growth stimulants.
Did you know? The tallest pines in the world are the Lambert pines, which grow in North America and reach an average height of 70 m.