Thyroid cypress Red Star: description of the plant, its planting and care
Most often conifers are used for landscaping a garden plot. With their help, you can create unusual landscape compositions that will constantly attract the attention of others. Red Star variety cypress belongs to ornamental plants. It is characterized by rich and beautiful needles, which change their shade depending on the season. This article will consider not only the main characteristics of this species, but also the features of cultivation.
Botanical description of the plant
The international name for the Red Star variety is Chamaecyparis thyoides Red Star. In nurseries where seedlings of this plant are sold, indicate another name - Rubicon.
Did you know? Plutarch demanded that all his laws should be written only on planks of cypress, since this tree was considered sacred.
The considered variety of cypress has a compact and dense crown. The height of the plant is only 1.5 m and a diameter of about 70 cm.
The annual growth is small, t. it's a slow growing culture. On average, every year the bush grows by 8 cm.
Variety description Red Star:
- pyramidal or columnar crown;
- needles are dense, needle-type. In winter, its shade changes. If during the growing season the tree is characterized by a bluish-green hue, then with the advent of cold weather it acquires a purple-violet color;
- bush life - up to 300 years;
- frost resistance is high, up to -29 ° С.
Red Star variety cypress prefers to grow in sunny areas, although it can develop in partial shade. Choose a landing site in a small depression so that moisture lingers longer in the soil. Plants are planted in loam for the same reason. Landing in open ground at a permanent place is carried out in the spring, when the ground warms up to a temperature of + 12 ° C.
Important! Buy a seedling in specialized nurseries or in a shopping center. This will allow you to choose a plant that meets varietal characteristics.
The landing hole must be prepared in advance. In November, dig a hole, and pour a drainage layer to the bottom. Experienced gardeners recommend using broken brick or sand with large grains for this. Fill 2/3 of the wells with nutrient soil. To prepare it, mix garden soil, peat, compost and humus in equal proportions. If the soil is too dense (clay or chernozem), add some sand. It is necessary so that the root system of the tree does not rot.
Landing technology is as follows:
- Wells are dug at a distance of 2 m from each other. Their optimal dimensions are 60 × 70 cm.
- After the preparatory processes, immerse the seedling inside.
- Cover voids with nutrient soil. Be careful not to get air bags.
- Pour planting material with warm water and mulch the trunk circle. To do this, it is advisable to use peat, sawdust or pine bark.
Video: Planting and features of care for cypress
It’s easy to take care of the plants. In the first few weeks after planting, Red Star cypress trees need abundant watering. Also, do not forget about loosening the soil and removing weeds. If you do not do this, then plants can be affected by diseases and pests more than usual.
Watering and feeding
The first 2 weeks after planting, young seedlings are watered every day.. At least 15 liters of water must be poured under one tree. Before irrigating the soil, it is better to loosen the topsoil so that moisture penetrates better to the root system.
Did you know? It is recommended to keep several branches of cypress in the house, that is, the plant fills the house with phytoncides.These substances are useful for respiratory and air disinfection.
From the third week, watering is carried out every week, using 10 liters of water. Adult cypress trees also need abundant watering.. The irrigation interval is increased to 2 weeks. Use at least 12 liters of water per plant.
Top dressing is applied 3 times during the growing process:
- in springBefore the formation of the kidneys, watering is carried out with a solution of potassium nitrate (30 g per 5 l of water). On one tree, 10 liters of liquid are used;
- in summer, in mid-July, you need to make a solution of nitroammophoski (40 g per 10 liters of water), and pour the entire volume under each bush;
- at the end of October cypresses are fed with a solution of superphosphate (50 g per 10 l of water). 12 liters of water are poured under one plant.
Loosening and mulching
Particular attention should be paid to loosening the soil before watering and fertilizing. This will provide a better supply of nutrients and moisture to the roots, which provokes a better development of the plant. Loosen the topsoil with an interval of 1 week. Thanks to such actions, a crust will not form on the surface, which can lead to rotting of the root system.
Important! Try to propagate the crop vegetatively to maintain varietal characteristics. If you plant plants with seeds, then the daughter trees will differ significantly from the mother (in height, shade, etc.).
Mulching of the soil is carried out in October or November (depending on when the first frost starts in your area). First you need to dig up the top layer of soil, water it and lay out a 20-cm layer of mulch. The best materials for this are considered humus or sawdust.
Red Star does not need a crown cypress. And without a regular haircut, the crown will be neat and symmetrical.Sanitary pruning is carried out in the spring, before the start of sap flow in the trunk. It is necessary to remove branches damaged by frost or pests, as well as cut dry shoots.
Video: Cypress cypress Red Star
Possible diseases and pests
Among the most common diseases that the star-shaped cypress of the Red Star variety is affected, gray rot and bacteriosis are considered. Symptoms of the first disease are the appearance of plaque on the root system, and after a while the shoots and needles dry. Treatment is carried out by spraying with copper sulfate (10 g per 8 liters of water) with an interval of 2 weeks. Against bacteriosis, which manifests itself in the form of brown spots on the surface of the needles and the trunk, use a solution of Bordeaux fluid (30 ml per 5 l of water). Spray the plants every 3 weeks.
The pests of this variety include:
- coniferous scoop. It is necessary to fight it with Fitoverm (50 g per 10 liters of water);
- coniferous spider mite. It is recommended to use "Akarin" (20 g per 10 liters of water) or "Kemifos" (50 g per 6 liters of water);
- thuja bark beetle. For treatment use "Tiovit Jet" (20 g per 5 liters of water);
- aphid. In the fight against this parasite, Tanrek is used (70 g per 10 liters of water).
All spraying against pests is carried out 1 time per month. Previously, you can irrigate the crown with a strong pressure of water to wash off not only dust, but also adult parasites.
The use of wood in landscape design
Cypress Red Star is very often used in landscape design. This is due to the fact that its habit is decorative at any time of the year. Due to the seasonal change in the color of the needles, this plant will be able to bring originality and sophistication to your garden.
You can plant this variety next to bright flowers (tulips, lilacs or gladioli). Some gardeners prefer to plant a cypress along the curbs to make a beautiful garden path in the garden. You can create both group and single landings.
So, now you know how to properly grow a Red Star plant.Due to its unpretentiousness in care and strong decorative properties, this species is very often used in landscape design, giving the garden aesthetics and colorfulness.